Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Conscious Discipline


Diane and I took Ryan, Olivia, and Makenna to the library last week and I checked this book out by Dr. Becky Bailey along with some audio tapes from Love and Logic. Not only is the information helping me to communicate and be a better parent, but it also helps me with issues I have in regards to my own childhood. I had a couple of WOW moments.
There is another session at the school tonight on conscious discipline. The session last week was interesting. My Mom went with me and it was a pretty great experience for the both of us, yet awkward when they explained that most of the disciple behaviors we learned that are wrong, hurtful, or damaging are behaviors we learned from our parents. It is difficult to be a parent, I am fully aware of that. I now have a better grasp on why my parents were the way they were and I don't think I would have fully understood if I didn't have children of my own. Now it is my responsibility to change for the better and not repeat certain behavior patterns. I am a good Mom, but this is my opportunity to be great. Bring it on!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rays Family said...

Wow Dana, Bob and I had almost the exact conversation about kids and discipline and how our totally different parenting skills are linked to our upbringing.

Thanks for sharing.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Parenting is by far the most challenging job I've ever had. My husband and I took a number of parenting classes and learned many techniques that worked great. I tried to capture the best parenting techniques we found in this seven lesson online course:

http://www.PricelessParenting.com/

You can try out lesson 1 for free to see if you like it. I would appreciate your feedback (there is a feedback link on the site).

Best Regards,

- Kathy