Monday, July 30, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance

So feeling a little "under the weather", due to the alcohol consumption the evening before at Bahama Bobs, Sunday was a pretty unproductive day. I managed to take a long and much need nap with snuggle bunny Erika. The rest of the evening I went through toys, toys, and more toys, to tried to get ready for my garage sale this weekend. So I parked my butt in front of my t.v. a bucket full of cleaner and baskets of toys and started my season of "So You Think You Can Dance" from my faithful tivo. I couldn't peel myself away. I ended up watching the whole season and went to bed around 3:00 am. I loved it!!! This is the 3rd season and I haven't missed a show in 3 years. Every year gets better and better.
Dancing was one of the biggest parts of my life in my younger years. If there was a dance class, I was in it. By junior high, I was at Bunny Sanfords School of Dance Monday through Thursday until almost 9:00 every night and also assisted in two children's classes, my junior year in high school. My mom was hoping for a ballerina........ballet was OK, but the couple years of dancing on my toes, bleeding toes and sore ankles didn't do much for me. I LOVED tap and the chorus line and contemporary, I love a story! I was the second shortest in my chorus line class, and in a kick line, just cuz your shorter doesn't mean your legs don't have to be as high as the taller girls in the middle, they have to be higher. In that class I danced with my instructors and I was an equal and I remember being so nervous I couldn't see strait. I ended up being second to the last in the kick line, side by side with my ballet instructor, who was phenomenal and I did it, and it was great, exciting, perfect, flawless, in my eyes anyway. It was a "jazz hot" number, kinda like some of the routines in the movie Chicago. I nailed that routine and I was proud! Needless to say, my senior year, some friends and a little partying later (sad to say I partied more my high school years than my college years). I quit dance because my social life and my party accessories were more important. 13 years of dance, done, just like that. I'm not saying I was all that, or that I would've done anything "big" with it, or gone anywhere special, l but it was one of those choices that you look back and cringe. I forgot how dancing made me feel.
Last night watching 13 episodes of that show, my emotions were going crazy! I love routines that tell a story. The dramatic routines that make you feel something in the pit of your stomach and you get a funny feeling in your throat. There was a day that I thought I would be dancing some little number on Broadway but dreams fade fast and are sometimes hard to come by. One of the forks in the road that you'd wished you'd at least attempted.  My favorite choreographers are Mia Michaels and Wade Robson. They are just awesome!!! I just can't get enough! Now that I'm all caught up, I can't wait until Wednesday.

3 comments:

Jon said...

I hate Mia Micheals, could her hair get any worse this season? The only fun dancer to watch this year is Lacey, even though she has really slutted it up lately.

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

I totally agree with the hair thing, but WOW!

How do you not like Lauren or Sara? At least the men are dancing like men this season!

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

And at least she doesn't laugh like Mary Murphy.....ahhhhhh ~ she makes my hair stand up!