Wednesday, March 04, 2009

NURS 165


I have accomplished yet another goal. NURS165 - Maternity. These are the people I have been spending the last 8 weeks with. My home away from home. The ones I have experienced some amazing, emotional and speechless moments with. Because of certain laws, I cannot discuss patients on my blog but I can tell you that I witnessed two beautiful babies be brought into this world, one vaginally and one by cesarean. Personally having had both a cesarean and 2 natural births, I can honestly say that it is completely different being on the opposite end.
I have learned more about who I am as a person and I learned some strengths and some weaknesses that are part of my personality. I have learned that labor and delivery is not my thing, even though it was completely life altering. I was disappointed when I had that feeling "this is not for me" but was also grateful that it helped me realize that I really need to be caught up in busyness and chaos. I need the adrenaline and those fast decision moments. In maternity there seemed to be more sitting around, looking at monitors, waiting for a baby to be born, kind of atmosphere. I need the constant go go go. It was good to cross something off my list of possibilities, but sad because it was something I thought I would be really passionate about.
I spent many moments with some amazing nurses! Nurses that have truly inspired me and I will take their wisdom with me! There was a specific 8 hours shift, with one nurse in particular, where I felt that I had learned more from her than from 3 text books and 8 weeks of lecture.
I definitely have a spot in my heart for all the babies I was blessed to spend time with. My favorite moments during this rotation was in the nursery with the lights dim, music on, rocking in the rocking chair with them. Not knowing what life has in store for them. What they may or may not experience. Knowing that the good, bad and ugly will soon enter their lives once they leave that hospital. Hopefully later more than sooner. I will miss the nursery....I will miss the babies.
I have a passion for newborns and for children. I loved talking to the siblings about their new brother or sister and see the expressions on their faces. PRICELESS :) Oh, to be innocent and see the world at such a different level before experiences, family, friends and judgments dramatically alter who they become. To be a part of that purity...WOW!
I don't know where I will end up in the great big world of nursing. I know I have choices, I just hope I make the right ones.
So I am on spring break. Make up time with my family and friends. A little breather. A step back to regroup and remind myself why I am putting myself and my family through this. God I hope I am doing the right thing!

No comments: