Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thank You Norma Pegram

I received two envelopes from LCC yesterday. One being in a regular envelope and the other in a BIG envelope. I let Eli open letters from LCC because I would rather hear bad or good news from him, it went like this........


Dear Dana,

CONGRATULATIONS! On behalf of the LCC Foundation Board of Directors, it is my pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to receive the LPN Scholarship in Honor of Mrs. Pegram. This award covers the 2008-2009 academic year (fall and spring semester) and will be administered through the LCC Office of Financial Aid.

We congratulate you on your academic achievements and wish you every success as you pursue your career goals her at Lansing Community College.

Sincerely,
Susan D. Fisher
Director of College Advancement


I hated school, I was never a good student. I received horrible grades and struggled all through grade school, junior high, high school, and college (the first time around). Without an acceptance into the nursing program as of yet (a couple more weeks of agony before I should find out). It keeps my spirits up knowing that someone believes in me enough to give me money for a goal they believe I will achieve. I didn't expect to receive any scholarship. I filled out an application, had two letters of recommendation (from Dr. Muns and my academic adviser) and wrote a personal statement and hoped for the best. It was a pat on the back for me, to actually know that all I did to redeem myself academically was noticed. Last night, laying in bed with Eli, I thanked him and told him that this scholarship was for him too. If it wasn't for him, his support, his help, I would have never been able to accomplish what I did and get the grades I did. I love being able to share these moments of greatness with him. I could not have done this alone or ever want to do this journey without him. This accomplishment I truly share with Eli, because we did it together.
The scholarship doesn't pay for all my tuition for the next year, but it will help and it is money that I don't have to pay back! What a great feeling!
One of the reasons that I chose LCC was because half way through the RN program I will be eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination – Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN). If I pass the examination I can work as a Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) while I finish my second year. Some employers have been known to help with tuition for the second year if you sign a contract saying you will work in their facility after graduation.

3 comments:

Will said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome! It was even better to hear how you share this stuff with Eli. What a great picture of marriage!

kpegram said...

Congratulations. Norma Pegram was my grandmother. :] It makes me so happy that there was a scholarship made after my idol, and that it's being given to people who are looking to follow her career footsteps.

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

What a wonderful woman and what a wonderful thing your grandmother did to help people follow their dreams!!!! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!!!!